Smartphone filming is all about making the best use of the available light. Daylight is free! But a small light or two can improve the look of your video, especially when filming indoors.
TIP: Whichever light you buy, make sure it has a brightness control so you can adjust the light level and a diffuser or filter to tone down the harshness of bright white light.
- Manfrotto Lumimuse rechargeable LED light. 6 LED (£59) or the less powerful 3 LED (£45). Use with the filters supplied, otherwise the light is too harsh.
- Metz Mecalight LED 320 (£60) has a hinged mount.
- Lume Cube Air (£80) is more expensive, but is really compact and has a magnet for clamping to metal surfaces, a diffuser and a wireless control. It’s also waterproof!
- Ulanzi (£15). A cheap and cheerful battery-powered light.
- Aputure Amaran AL-M9 (£47) comes well-recommended.