Camera shake makes your video look unpolished. Here’s some simple, affordable kit to help you create smooth, professional shots.
Smartphone clamps and handgrips
These grip the camera securely and avoid wobbly shots. They’re lightweight, easy to carry and adjustable for different smartphone sizes.
- Viewflex VF-H2 (£23) or Sevenoak SK-PSC1 (£30). Both have a cold shoe mount on the top for a microphone or light.
- Shoulderpod S1 (£25) – Shoulderpod kit is good, but this lacks a cold shoe mount.
These are worth having if you are want to mount accessories, such as a light or microphone. Make sure they are adjustable for different sizes of smartphone.
- Ulanzi URig (£20). We use this on our courses.
- Shoulderpod G2 (£60), more robust and has multiple mounting points for accessories.
- Beastgrip Pro allows you to mount extra lenses as well but is pricey (£150).
A tripod gives you a rock-steady shot, leaves both your hands free and is vital for timelapse shooting.
These are lighter and easier to carry than a full tripod. Some monopods come with small feet so they can stand upright without support – but beware, they can blow over in a strong breeze and wreck your gear!
- Manfrotto Compact (£20).
These are great on a table top for indoor interviews.
- Manfrotto Pixi (£30) – the legs fold together so you can also use it as a hand grip.
- Joby Gorillapod (£23) has bendy legs for uneven surfaces.
These used to be unaffordable for smartphone shooters. Now the price has come crashing down to well under £100. Gimbals are the ultimate solution for smooth moves while shooting.